The Australian Labradoodle Association of America (ALAA) represents breeders in the United States, Canada and Europe.
The ALAA attempts to focus on nurturing the development of the Labradoodle and Australian Labradoodle, with efforts to promote uniform standards and integrity in breeding.
The goals of the ALAA, according to their charter, are:
- To protect the future of the Labradoodle and Australian Labradoodle
- To provide a forum where breeders and owners can collaborate to promote and protect the future of the breeds
- To sustain and improve dog health
- To provide public information about breeding stock
- To promote integrity among breeders
- To educate breeders and owners
- To help prospective owners make informed purchasing decisions
- To develop and monitor breed standards
- To lobby for international acceptance of the Labradoodle and Australian Labradoodle, and to uphold breed standards with respect to conformation, temperament, color and coat type
The ALAA has been a changing force for the betterment of Australian Labradoodles and has aimed at providing structure to the breed. They’ve had a large influence with ALD owners and have helped them to find breeders such as us here at NorthStar Labradoodles. We are looking forward to them learning to work together with WALA in the future with a new board working towards strength where they will earn my further respect and gratitude.
I am very excited to share with you all that NorthStar Labradoodles has been chosen to be a Starred Member of a wonderful organization that promotes the betterment of our breed, the Australian Labradoodle. This organization offers a far reaching and comprehensive availability of information that will benefit our dogs and the families that give homes to our puppies. This is one of the premier organization for our Breed!!! The world wide reach of this organization will offer us insight, care for our puppies and dogs, plus medical information and so much more than any organization has been able to offer.
We are giving our support to this organization as its values and vision align with ours, which is to inspire the continue improvement of the Australian Labradoodle through education, communication, and integrity in breeders and owners. It further aims to achieve this worldwide and has attracted members from Canada, the US, Europe, UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia.
I invite you to join the FB group WALA – Worldwide Australian Labradoodle Association for helpful information related to dog ownership and opportunities to engage with fellow pet owners. We also invite you to follow us them on Instagram. Please feel welcome to use the hashtag #walalabradoodles when posting on Instagram.
Let me introduce you to the Worldwide Australian Labradoodle Association known as WALA! Please look at the website which is always updating with additional information often!!! You won’t regret it!
Fees and costs for a Multigeneration Australian Labradoodle Companion Puppy from NorthStar Labradoodles is a total of $3000. This is for our NSL Puppy that is matched with a Pet Home which includes the Reservation and Consultation Fees as well as the Adoption Fees. For a Guardian Home, the cost is a few year commitment for a NorthStar Labradoodle Puppy.
If you are a WALA or ALAA breeder and are interested in an available breeding dog that is for sale or trade, please contact us.
To ensure the integrity and genetic health of Multigenerational Australian Labradoodles, we conduct a lot of testing. At NorthStar Labradoodles, we spend approximately $20,000 on purchasing and testing a dog before it ever produces its first litter. Once a litter is produced, the costs continue to increase for the discerning and caring breeders. This includes:
- Hip and elbows testing
- Patellar certification
- Eye examination by a certified ophthalmologist
- Specialized thyroid panel
- CBC Blood Panels
- PRA Testing
- Completed DNA Screening of over 150 Genetic Diseases
- DNA Profile testing to identify lineage of dogs
- OFA Congenital Cardiac Clearance
- High Level of continuous Professional Training
- Legal Fees for contracts between Breeders and Pet Owners
- Veterinary Fees for health and testing purposes
- Vaccines and Titers in order to NOT over vaccinate our dogs
- Homemade fresh food for our dogs and puppies to insure optimal health and growth
- The cost of veterinary care for breeding dogs and our puppies before they head home is constantly on the rise and we have to cover those expenses.
Some of these tests are conducted every 18 months to verify the continued soundness of the dog by NorthStar Labradoodles. Not just once, as in some breeding programs that do not care to document the continued soundness of their breeding dogs. In addition, each breeding costs approximately $5,000 for breeder fees and veterinary clearances.
We also require this level of testing with dogs outside of our program as, which demands a higher cost bracket for higher quality dogs. Although some breeders do not perform this much testing, it’s important to us to prove the quality of our dogs for the love of our dogs and your peace of mind.
There is discussion among breeders on whether AKC recognition and Doodle aesthetic should be a greater focus than training for companion dogs. We strive for a balanced emphasis in both of these categories. However, since the AKC has no care for inbreeding, canine health, breed health and quality of breeders – we are proud to be a part of WALA and ALAA that DOES care about these things. The AKC does not care about the health and quality of the dogs and breeders and thereby encourages people to breed dogs when they have NO business doing so. We will happily stay OUT and AWAY from the AKC and focus on the health, temperament, personalities and aesthetics of our Australian Labradoodles from both American and Australian lines.
A Guardian Home is an approved family that raises and cares for our breeding dogs. We select Guardian Homes because we do not kennel our breeding dogs and cannot keep all of them in our home. This program is a great way for our dogs to be raised, loved and cared for like all family pets.
We require a home inspection to place a dog in your home. Although NorthStar Labradoodles is responsible for breeding related costs (health testing, sonograms, ect.), the guardian family is responsible for all normal pet costs (veterinary care, pet insurance, vaccines, flea prevention, grooming, training, food, ect.). We will pay you a training bonus if you provide NorthStar Labradoodles with a Certificate of Accomplishment from an Agility Trial program or in a Certified Therapy Dog program.
In the Guardian Home program, an approved family cares for a puppy as a permanent member of the family. The family will raise and train the puppy throughout its pet and breeding career.
NorthStar Labradoodles owns the breeding rights and requires access to our Guardian dog a few times throughout the year for testing and breeding.
For females, we will require that she come visit us throughout the year so that she is familiar with our family. Aside from testing and breeding, she will need to stay with us a week before the puppies’ due date, until the puppies are weaned. Our Guardian Families, are welcome to come and visit at arranged times after the pups are a week old, of course! Afterwards, the dog will return to your home to the family it knows and loves. For males, we will need him for approved pairings, which may only be within an hour’s notice.
Our Guardian Families have the benefit of the pick of the litter with no upfront cost, but need to be prepared for the additional responsibility that this entails.
Upon retirement, we will pay to have your dog spayed or neutered. Then, it will remain with your family forever!
- These pick of the litter puppies are no charge to you – however, you are expected to provide a very high quality of care in order to “pay” for your future dog.
- We will pay your trainer if you take the time to certify your dog in Agility Trials or as a Certified Therapy Dog
- The puppy will be completely health tested for congenital problems at no cost to you
- You will have the joy of owning the very best that NorthStar Labradoodles has to offer
- Live within a three hour drive of Springfield, Oregon
- Own your home
- Keep the dog as an indoor pet and have a fenced yard
- Have a schedule that does not require you to leave the dog alone for long periods of time
- Be prepared to heavily socialize our NSL Guardian Puppy/Dog in all types of situations.
- Commit to a very high level of professional training with our NSL Puppy/Dog – this is imperative!
- Maintain open communication and provide regular updates and pictures. Phone pictures are fun, but we must also have regular camera quality pictures as well (e.g. notify before grooming and share pictures)
- Bring the dog to us throughout the year
- Commit to good health care and feed the dog quality food that we approve (preferably fresh food)
- Cover all veterinary care aside from the genetic testing that we provide such as annual vaccines, deworm treatments, flea prevention and regular check ups
- Have the dog covered by a pet insurance plan
- Have the dog on a leash in public areas
- Know the behaviors associated with intact males and females
- Understand that the dogs are the property of NorthStar Labradoodles until their breeding career is completed and we have transferred ownership documentation to you after having them spayed or neutered.
- Most importantly, provide the dog with lots of love!!! That’s what this is all about!
Interested in becoming a Guardian Home? Fill out the puppy application today!
Starting with generation differences – F1, F2, F3 (Early Generation) Labradoodles may be shedding or non-shedding and may have wavy or wispy hair or fur, which may be coarse and there is no consistency in temperament and demeanor. You may have a few in a litter that may be lower shedding, but still not predictable in size or demeanor. What they lack is consistency. Often times, the earlier generation crosses shed a lot, are standard in size and are very goofy and can be harder to train. Without that established breed/line, there is just no way to predict the temperament, conformity and consistency with these early generation labradoodles.
The Multigenerational Australian Labradoodle is designed to be that dog that we are seeking when we first Google “Labradoodle”. Multigeneration Australian Labradoodles have consistent soft, non-shedding coats, high trainability, reliable sizes and conformation, long happy lives and amazing temperaments. These dogs that have well established lines of an established breed whether American or Australian Lines have been well designed by responsible breeders seeking those best qualities of all of the foundation breeds. People that have dog fur sensitivities gravitate towards this breed because due to them having hair and not fur, as well as not having dander, allows people that haven’t been able to have a dog finally can!! This is only recommended with Australian Labradoodles since that is a key reason that they developed the way that they are – this is NOT true of a Labradoodle which is NOT the same breed.
It is important to remember that Multigeneration Australian Labradoodles aren’t simply a hybrid cross between a Labrador Retriever and a Standard Poodle – those are Labradoodles. Multigeneration Australian Labradoodles (or Cobberdogs) are a completely different breed and it is often confused. Multigeneration ALDs are truly a designed dog with years of research and trial and error to produce this amazing dog that we have today. WALA & ALAA Multigeneration Australian Labradoodles are a mix of approved infusions of Champion American and English Labrador Retrievers, various types of Champion Poodles and Champion American and English Cocker Spaniels. Each of these dogs must meet specific standards to be approved to produce. Multigeneration Australian Labradoodle breeders have invested significantly into this breed to achieve the best bred dog possible.
With a NorthStar Labradoodle, you have the confidence of knowing that your puppy has a strong documented line of proven health, temperament, conformity and coat quality of at least 5 generations of the established breed of Multigeneration Australian Labradoodle.
We have done all of the research so that you don’t have to!
Here is a visual example of the difference between “Labradoodles” (early generation) and our Bindi that is a “Multigeneration Australian Labradoodle”. They are obviously NOT the same breed of dog.
For puppy health and our family’s security, we can no longer allow visits in order to keep our entire human and dog family safe. Unfortunately, the few have forced the change in our policy due to their poor choices and behavior which has put our household at risk due to both viral introduction not following my directions to stay healthy as well as violating the security and sanctity of our home. There is no exceptions to this any longer. We will allow families to come and pick up their puppies, of course. We will provide those families our address just prior to the appointed pick up time with instructions on arriving safely with fresh clothing, etc to keep our home as healthy as possible for our unvaccinated puppies.
Multigeneration Australian Labradoodles may need professional grooming about every 4-6 weeks to trim up their faces and make sure that their hair isn’t getting too long and prevent matting. While most groomers like their customers to come every 4 weeks or so, some owners like the mop look – we sure do! Though, we tend to cut the dogs’ coats down during Oregon’s wet winters to keep them from carrying in outdoor debris.
Doodles have wonderful coats because they do not have oils in their skin like shedding dogs do, so they do not have the “wet dog” smell and do not leave your hands feeling dirty after petting them. Nevertheless, you should still bathe your dog with a gentle shampoo every month or so. This is easy to do at home, especially since the dogs have no undercoat, which allows their hair to dry quickly.
We also recommend a daily brush for five minutes or so – the dogs love the special attention!
Make sure to check out the NSL Puppy Store (Link Here) to see the grooming tools that we suggest for keeping their soft, fleece coats beautiful.
- A Multigeneration Australian Labradoodle – a NorthStar Labradoodle Puppy! This is what everyone is seeking when they are looking for an Australian Labradoodle!! Our puppies and dogs are the very best on the inside and out – we work really hard to keep it that way!
- A Microchipped NorthStar Labradoodle Puppy with Documentation
- WE ARE ONE OF THE ONLY WALA or ALAA ALD BREEDERS OFFERING THIS POTENTIALLY LIFE EXTENDING SURGERY – If you choose this option of a modified spay/neuter which means Fallopian Tubal Ligations for Girls and Vasectomies for Boys, we will coordinate this surgery between you and our veterinary surgeon. This allows your NSL Puppy to grow up with the health benefits of their sex organs without worrying about unwanted pregnancies.
- Vaccination, Deworming and Health Record
- Two Year Health Warranty
- Puppy Assessment to insure the Right Puppy for the Right Family at the Right Time!
- Early Socialization, Sensitivity Training, Bedtime Crate Trained, Early Potty Training and Early Verbal Command Training for your NSL Puppy – YES! They will know how to use a Puppy Door to go outside, sit, come and sleep in their special crate!
- Litter Registration with the WALA and ALAA
- WALA Registration Papers and Pedigree once desexing procedure is complete
- ALAA Registration Papers and Pet Transfer Codes after desexing procedure is complete
- Minimum 4th generation Multigeneration Australian Labradoodle ALAA Pedigree
- Keepsake Snuggle Puppy slept on here at NorthStar Labradoodles
- Our Lifetime Support
- A Lifetime of NorthStar Puppy Love!
NorthStar Labradoodles has done a lot of research and testing to ensure that you receive the dog that you have been looking for. We understand that you are investing in your new family member and you need to make a decision with your head before you invest with your heart. We want you to understand and believe in the quality of our dogs and puppies, which is why we provide a Health Warranty that covers hereditary diseases that may be common in certain breeds such as Labradors, Cocker Spaniels and Poodles – our foundation breeds. The Health Warranty guarantees that we have tested everything from the eyes to the hips and that your dog is not prone to inherit a genetic disease. This does not mean that your dog will never have any type of health problem. Like people, dogs are susceptible to other health problems due to other factors such as food, activity and environment; therefore, we cannot guarantee the dogs’ health indefinitely.
We are invested in each of our dog and puppies. We back each with not only our Two Year Health Warranty but also our reputation. We are passionate about our dogs, puppies and program – this is why we do the regular testing that we do, the training and socialization and the modified spay/neuters that we are the only breeder to offer. It isn’t for you or us, it is for our NorthStar Labradoodles.
Everything that you need to know can be found at either Worldwide Australian Association of America or at the Australian Labradoodles Association of America Website or by contacting us directly – we love to talk about this stuff!